Advice for Coping with Anxiety and Panic
If you are struggling with anxiety and panic at home, there are many coping strategies that may help you to feel more relaxed and improve your wellbeing.
First of all breathe in, hold and slowly breathe out; do this for at least 5 minutes or use the breathing around a rectangle say “I am safe in this moment this too will pass.”
Try one of the following coping strategies:
1. Create a support network in whatever way you can phone, text, WhatsApp, Facetime, etc. when you need to.
2. Track your emotions; don’t suppress, express by talking or writing them down.
3. Try to stay positive; write down all the things you are grateful for each day.
4. Write down your thoughts and reframe/challenge them; thoughts are often unhelpful.
5. If you imagine your anxiety as a colour, what is it? And what shape is it? Can you imagine changing the colour to a shade you like? Imagine you have a remote control and you are turning it down and changing the shape of it too.
6. Close your eyes and just observe your thoughts as if they are clouds in a blue sky; take a step back continue to observe and accept them, take a deep breath and let go of any tension.